The Department of Anatomy is one of the academic departments domiciled in the faculty of Basic Medical sciences of the federal University Ndufu-Alike Ikwo, Ebonyi State.
Our current research activities are broad, covering the fields of Biological Anthropology, Neuroscience and Reproductive Biology and employs cellular and molecular approaches to the understanding of human disease mechanisms. The department has been running a broad based training that will lead to award of B.Sc. in Anatomy since inception of the university in 2002. While some aspects of Anatomy are taught theoretically, all of it is complemented by practical classes, with emphasis on applied aspect of the subject.
- To provide strong academic base for a broad understanding of the fundamental principle of Anatomy.
- To provide sufficient intellectual motivation for academically minded Anatomist to further pursue their studies in other areas
- To produce highly motivated and enterprising graduates with up-to-date knowledge and skills in the Anatomical Sciences for Research and application in all aspects of Biomedical and Medical Sciences
- To provide for a sound and all round knowledge of Anatomy as a boundless Biomedical Science
- To make students understand the crux of human structure in relation to physical, Environmental, aesthetic science and, Biomedical and medical Sciences.
- To develop course and content for students of other departments /programmes who take Anatomy as a requisite for graduation.
- In collaboration with other Biomedical, Medical and Core scientist, engage in meaningful research that is in tune with the needs of the immediate environment and the nation at large.
- To design a program for speciality areas in Natomy for the adnavancement of research and sustenance of a pool of competent professionals in these specialties.
The philosophy of the Department is, in the overall, to provide our graduates with the opportunities to develop skills needed to advance a competitive career path in the Anatomical Sciences in Nigeria and beyond in accordance with FUNAI’s philosophy of producing self-reliant and confident “eagles”. With the acquisition of knowledge in the area of Anatomy, the graduate of this programme can be self-employed if they have no desire to work in the industries or medical institutions.
- Acceptable performance at the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) organized by JAMB and pass in G.C.E O’Level or equivalent with credits in Endlish Language, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology in one sitting.
(II) Direct Entry
- Direct entry candidates are required to obtain good passes at principal level in the Higher School Certificate or G.C.E ‘A’ level in biology or zoology, chemistry and physics
- Hold a B.Sc. degree in Biomedical Sciences with a minimum of 2nd Class Lower division of this University or any other recognized by Senate. Or hold Higher National Diploma certificate in a Biomedical Sciences with a minimum of upper credit from any polytechnic recognized by the University Senate.
- All direct entry students must have passed G.C.E O’Level or equivalent with credit in English Language, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology in one sitting.