The Department started at the inception of the University in 2012 with Professor E.C Orji as the pioneer Head of Department. He was succeeded in May, 2013 by Associate Professor C.E Mbah who is now succeeded by Dr.Moses Alo. The Department is made up of Biology, Plant Science and Ecological Studies (Botany), Animal Science and Environment studies (Zoology), Microbiology and Biotechnology. It is the largest among the ten Academic Departments in FUNAI. It has the second highest number of student enrolment in the University with highly qualified and distinguished academic staff drawn from Nigerian Universities and overseas. The total staff strength during the 2013/2014 academic session was 46 comprising 7 professors, 2 Associate Professors, 4 Senior Lecturers, 3 Lecturers I, 2 Lecturer II, 10 Assistant Lecturers, 10 Graduate Assistants, with 4 Technologists and a Departmental Officer. Many more staff are expected to join in the current session.
A well-equipped state-of-the-art Biology Laboratory has been built and is currently used for Biology/Microbiology/Biotechnology practical’s while a bigger one is under construction at the permanent site.
We have a specialized Petroleum Microbiology Research Laboratory attached to the Zenith Bank building for Advanced Research in Microbiology and Pollution in the oil industry under the close supervision of Associate Prof. Chuma Okoro.
In 2013/2014 academic session, the Department emerged as the first to win the Vice-Chancellor Maiden football trophy. One of our staff, Miss Modesta Agwu distinguished herself by winning three silver medals at the 2014 Universities Staff Games in Benin, Edo state.
The future of the Department is very bright and we encourage academics and others who have innovative ideas to come and contribute their quota to the growth of this unique citadel of learning.
Mission and vision of the Department
The main aims and objectives of the degree programme in Biological Sciences are:
- To provide students with a broad and balanced foundation of Biology knowledge and practical skills.
- To develop in students the ability to apply knowledge and skills to solving theoretical and practical problems in Biology
- To develop in students, a range of transferable skills that are of value in Biological and allied employment.
- To provide students with knowledge and skills base from which they can proceed to further studies in specialized areas of Biology or multi-disciplinary areas involving Applied Biology
- To provide through training and orientation, an appreciation of the salutary rewards of inter-and-multi-disciplinary approach to the solution of complex life problems
- To generate in students an appreciation of the importance of Biology in industrial, economic, environmental, technological and social development.
- To instil in students a sense of enthusiasm for Biological Sciences, an appreciation of its application in different contexts and to involve them in an intellectually stimulating and satisfying experience of learning and studying.