Born on October 03, 1980 at Amachi-Amata, Akpoha in Afikpo North L.G.A. of Ebonyi State, Dr. Nwogo Ajuka Obasi attended Amata Primary School, Akpoha between 1986-1992, Government Secondary School, Afikpo between 1992-1998 and Abia State University, Uturu- Nigeria. He holds B.Sc, M.Sc and Ph.D in Biochemistry with specialization in Environmental Biochemistry, Health and Toxicology.
Dr Obasi is a Fellow – International Research and Development Institute (FIRDI), Fellow – Institute of Industrial Administration of Nigeria (FIIA), Fellow-Institute of Policy Management Development (FIPMD) and a registered member of several professional organizations including Nigerian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (NSBMB), American Association of Science and Technology (AASCIT), Society of Environmental Chemistry and Toxicology, Europe (SETAC) and Nigerian Society of Experimental Biology among others. Dr. Nwogo Ajuka Obasi has pioneered several research works in his area of specialty and has published numerous researched articles in both local and international peer-reviewed indexed journals. He has travelled far and wide across different continent of the world with academic presentations and exploits. He is a commissioned Officer of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), Nigeria.
Dr. Nwogo Ajuka Obasi has served and contributed immensely in notable administrative university positions such as Dean of Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences, Head of Department of Medical Biochemistry, all in College of Medical Sciences, Alex Ekwueme Federal University Ndufu-Alike, Ebonyi State, Nigeria and numerous senate and university wide committees among others some of which he is still currently serving. He has taught Biochemistry courses and supervised same at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels in many universities and Polytechnics including MOUAU, EBSU, Caritas University, and Evangel University and AIFPU. Dr Obasi has also served as an external Examiner to both undergraduate and postgraduate students including MBBS students. He is a Group Research Leader in the Environmental Biochemistry, Health and Toxicology Research Unit of AEFUNAI and has served as consultants to various companies dealing with environment. He is the current Acting Head, Department of Anatomy, College of Medical Sciences, AEFUNAI.
Dr Obasi has contributed to community development in various capacities and has been recognized with several honours including a chieftaincy title as ENYO OHA 1 of Amata Okpoto-Okum kingdom. He is an active Christian and an ordained ELDER of The Favoured Great Light Global Ministries. He is happily married with children.
Department in which I serve
Department of Anatomy, Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences, College of Medical Sciences, AEFUNAI
Acting Head of Department, Anatomy
2008-2012: Abia State University, Uturu, Abia State, Nigeria
2006-2008: Abia State University, Uturu, Abia State, Nigeria
M.Sc. – Biochemistry (Distinction, CGPA = 4.78)
2000-2003: Abia State University, Uturu, Abia State, Nigeria.
B.Sc.-Biochemistry, Second Class Honours (Upper Division)
1992-1998: Government Secondary School, Afikpo, Ebonyi State.
Senior School Certificate (SSC).
1986-1992: Amata Primary School, Akpoha, Afikpo North, Ebonyi State.
First School Leaving Certificate (FSLC)
Area of Expertise/Interest
Environmental Biochemistry, Health and Toxicology
- Chinyere Aloke, Udu Ama Ibiam, Nwogo Ajuka Obasi, Obasi Uche Orji, Nkiru Nwamaka Ezeani, Patrick Maduabuchi Aja, Esther Ugo Alum and Joseph Chukwufumnanya Mordi (2019). Effects of Ethanol and Aqueous Extracts of Seed Pod of Copaifera salikounda (Heckel) on Complete Freund’s Adjuvant- induced Rheumatoid Arthritis in Rats. Journal of Food Biochemistry 43(7): https;doi.org/10.1111/jfbc.12912
- Segun Solomon Ogundapo, Olajoju Temidayo Soniran, Joseph Bagi Suleiman, Kerian Chigozie Ngobidi, Nwogo Ajuka Obasi, Victor Uzochukwu Olugbue, Oswald Obinna Chukwunwike and Idowu David Olatunji (2019). CYP450–mediated metabolites of aqueous leaves extract of Moringa oleifera inhibits absorption of chloroquine in Plasmodium yoeli yoeli infection. Investigational Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmacology 2(1):23-29
- Aja, P.M. Ekpono, E.U., Obasi, N.A., Obasi, D.C. and waeke, J. N. (2019a). Comparative Amino Acid Compositions of Uvaria chamae Stem Bark and Poly Herbal Mixture. Earthline Journal of Chemical Sciences,2(1): 79-95
- Aja, P.M., Obasi, D.C., Obasi, N.A., Ekpono and Obasi, J.N. (2019b). Comparative Amino Acid Compositions of Curculigo pilosa Root and Citrullus colocynthis Fruit Bark. Earthline Journal of Chemical Sciences,2(1): 97-110
- Nwogo Ajuka Obasi, Stella Eberechukwu Obasi, Sunday Oge Elom, Kalu Mong Kalu, Chinyere Aloke, Ikechuku Okorie Igwenyi, Chikwado Casmir Isienyi and Justus Chinonso Attamah (2017). Health Risk Assessment of Heavy Metals in Ameri Lead-Zinc Mining Community via Consumption of Cassava (Manihot esculenta Cruz) in Ikwo L.G.A., Ebonyi State, Nigeria. American-Eurasian Journal of Sustainable Agriculture. 11(6):22-30.
- Nwogo Ajuka Obasi, Stella Eberechukwu Obasi, Getrude Obianuju Aloh and Sunday Oge Elom (2017) Review of Edible Plants in Dumpsites: Risks of Heavy Metals Toxicity and Implications for Public Health. Journal of Experimental Agriculture International 17(6): 1-11
- Igwenyi, I. O., A.C. Eze., Aja, P.M., Elom, S.O., Uraku, A.J., Awoke, J.N.and Obasi, N. A. (2017). Cholesterol-Lowering and Hepatoprotective Effect of Fruit Juice Extract of Azadirachta indica on Plasmodium berghei Infected Mice. International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences. 6(9): 3367-3375.
- Nwogo Ajuka Obasi, Stella Eberechukwu Obasi, Getrude Obianuju Aloh and Emmanuel Okewe Nnachi (2017). Health Risk Assessment of Selected Dumpsites in Amata-Akpoha Community Using Cultivated Edible Plants. Research Journal of Environmental Toxicology. 11(2):62-71
- Igwenyi, I. O., Enyi, N. A., Igwenyi, I. P., Famurewa, C. C. and Obasi, N. A. (2017). Amino acid composition, fatty acid profile and characterization of Vegetable oil from Hura crepitans seed. International Journal of Biology, Pharmacy and Allied Sciences. 6(9): 1781-1791
- Aloh, G.A., Aloh, H.E., Obasi, A.N. and Chukwu, K. (2017) Evidence of Heavy Metal Contamination of Agricultural Soil in Ameri, Abakaliki Lead-Zinc Mining Area, Ebonyi State Southeast Nigeria: An Indication for Phytoremediation. Nutrition and Food Technology Open Access. 3(3):1-5 doi http://dx.doi.org/10.16966/2470-6086.145.
- Igwenyi, I. O., Agu, e. A., Awoke, J. N., Edwin, Nzubechukwu, Famurewa, A. C., Obasi, N. A. and Obasi, D. C. (2017). Antidiabetic and hepatoprotective effect of Hura crepitans seed Extract in alloxan-induced diabetic albino rats. International Journal of Biology, Pharmacy and Allied Sciences. 6(9): 1771- 1780
- 12. Obasi, N. A., Obasi, S. E., Otuchristian, G., Nvene, C. and Akalonu, X. C. (2016). Effects of Oral Administration of Ethanolic leaf Extract of Mucana puriens obtained from Afikpo on Serum Liver Biomarkers and Sex Hormones in Albino Wistar Rats. International Research Journal of Natural and Applied Sciences 3(7):138-156.
- Obasi, S.E., Obasi, N.A., Dike, U.A. and Igbolekwu, R.I. (2016). Assessment of Physicochemical Properties and Heavy Metals Contents in Selected Dumpsites in Afikpo, Afikpo North, Ebonyi State, Nigeria. IRA-International Journal of Applied Sciences 04(03):519-529
- Chukwu, J.C., Okafor, C.O., Nwabue, F.I., Omaka, O.N., Oti, W. and Obasi, N.A. (2017). Isolation, Purification and Characterization of Flavor Compounds in the Fruit Pulp of Sysepalum dulcificum. Chemistry and Materials Research, 8(8):63-72. www.iiste.org
- Aloh, O. G., Obasi, N. A., Chukwu K. E and Agu, A. N. (2016). Effects of Lead-Zinc Mining Activities on Water and Soil Quality in Ameka Mining Area of Ezza South, Ebonyi State, Nigeria. International Research Journal of Natural and Applied Sciences 3(7):194-231
- N.A. Obasi, S.E. Obasi, C.O. Egwu, G. Otuchristian and F.N. Nkasi (2016). Effects of Oral Administration of Ethanolic Leaf Extract of Mucana Puriens obtained from Afikpo on Serum Biochemical Parameters and Electrolytes in Albino Wistar Rats. European Journal of Pharmaceutical and Medical Research, 3(4):82-88
- Otuchristian, G., Obasi, A. N., Omoboyowa, A. D. and Anele, P. O. (2016). Effect of aqueous extract of Hibiscus sabdariffa Calyces on anaemia induced and normal Wistar albino rats. Nigerian Journal of Parasitology 37(1): 45-50
- Damilola Alex Omoboyowa, Nwogo Ajuka Obasi, Glory Otuchristian, Garba Jeremiah Danladi and Martin Umoh Okon (2016). Protective Effect of Methanol Stem Bark Extract of Cocos nucifera on Paracetamol-induced Hepatotoxicity in Adult Wistar Rats. International Journal of Tropical Disease & Health, 11(4): 1-10
- N. A. Obasi, S. E. Obasi, R. I. Igbolekwu, J. O. Nkama and S. O. Eluu (2015). Health Risk Assessment of the Quality of Plants Cultivated Around Eluogo and Agboogo Ibii Aged Dumpsites in Ibii, Afikpo North L.G.A. of Ebonyi State, Nigeria. American Journal of Environmental Engineering and Science, 2(6): 100-108
- A.J. Uraku, A.N.C. Okaka, U.A. Ibiam, K.N. Agbafor, N.A. Obasi, P.M. Aja, O.U. Obasi and F.N. Nwalo (2015). Antiplasmodial activity of ethanolic leaf extract of Spilathes uliginosa, Ocimum basilicum (Sweet Basil), Hyptis specigera and Cymbopogon citratus on mice exposed to Plasmodium berghei NK 65. International Journal of Biochemistry Research and Review 6(1):28-36
- Alisa C.O., Ezeigwe O. C., Ononamadu C.J., Obasi N. A., Ezem S. N. and Okoro J.C. (2015). Effects of Oral Administration of Aqueous Extract of Kuding Leaves on the Weight and Packed Cell Volume (PCV) of Wistar Albino Rats. International Journal of Pharma Sciences, 5(3): 1050-1055.
- A.J. Uraku, A.N.C. Okaka, U.A. Ibiam, K.N. Agbafor, N.A. Obasi, C.J. Okoye and M.E. Ogbanshi (2015). Use of medicinal plants protected liver from injury in Plasmodium berghei infected mice. British Journal of Medicine and Medical Research 6(9):926-934
- O.U. Njoku, U.C. Okorie, N.A. Obasi, S.I. Ogwulumba and G. Otu-christian (2015). Proximate and Mineral Composition of Whitfieldia lateria leaves from Ishiagu- Ivo, Ebonyi State, Nigeria. Journal of Biological and Chemical Research 32(1):77- 83
- N.A. Obasi, S.O. Elom, C.O. Edeogu, C.O. Alisa and S.E. Obasi (2014). Soil Environmental metals speciation and associated health risks in selected edible leafy plants on Amaéchi and Four-corner dumpsites in Enugu of Enugu State, Nigeria. International Journal of Life Sciences Biotechnology and Pharma Research 3(4):152- 165.
- N.A. Obasi, E.I. Akubugwo, K.M. Kalu and O.C. Ugbogu (2013). Speciation of Heavy Metals and Phyto-accumulation Potentials of Selected Plants on Major Dumpsites in Umuahia, Abia State, Nigeria. International Journal of Current Biochemistry Research 1(4):16- 28.
- Obasi N.A., Akubugwo E.I., Kalu K.M., Ugbogu A.E. and Okorie U.C. (2013). Toxicological Assessment of Various Metals on Selected Edible Leafy Plants of Umuka and Ubahu Dumpsites in Okigwe of Imo State, Nigeria. Journal of Experimental Biology and Agricultural Sciences 1(6):441-453
- Nwogo Ajuka Obasi, Kalu Mong Kalu, Uchechukwu Okorie and Glory Otuchristian (2013). Hypoglycemic effects of Vitex doniana on Alloxan Induced Diabetic Albino Rats. Journal of Medical Sciences 13(8):700-707 DOI:10.3923/jms.2013
- N. A. Obasi, Eberechukwu Eze, D.I. Anyanwu and U.C. Okorie (2013). Effects of organic manures on the physicochemical properties of crude oil polluted soils. African Journal of Biochemistry Research 7(6):67-75. http://www.academicjournals.org/AJBR
- Nwogo Ajuka Obasi, Kalu Mong Kalu, Godwin Chinyere Chinyere, Glory Otuchristian and Nweke Chukwuemeka Nworie (2013). Effects of Aqueous and Methanolic Leaf Extracts of Vitex doniana on Lipid Profile and Liver Enzymes of Alloxan Induced Diabetic Albino Rats. IOSR Journal of Pharmacy and Biological Sciences 6(5):37-43. www.iosrjournals.org
- Chinyere, G.C. and Obasi, N.A. (2013). Vitamins and phytochemical contents in four leafy vegetables subjected to different processing methods. African Journal of Biotechnology 7(6):67-75. http://www.academicjournals.org/AJBR
- Ugbogu, A.E., Akubugwo, E.I., Iweala, E.J.J., Uhegbu, F.O., Chinyere, G.C. and Obasi, N.A. (2013). Role of Phytochemicals in Chemoprevention of Cancer: A Review. International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Chemical Sciences 2(2):566-575. www.ijpcsonline.com
- C.J. Ofoegbu, E.I. Akubugwo, C.C. Dike, H.C.C. Maduka, C.E. Ugwu and N.A. Obasi (2013). Effects of Heavy Metals on Soil Enzymatic activities in the Ishiagu Mining Area of Ebonyi State, Nigeria. IOSR Journal of Environmental Sciences, Toxicology and Food Technology. 5 (6): 66-71
- M.O. Oko, G. Out Christian and N.A. Obasi (2012). Studies of the incidence of typhoid fever among students of comprehensive secondary school, Unwana, Afikpo North L.G.A., Ebonyi State, Nigeria. African Journal of Medical Science 6(1):83-90. ISSN 2141-0151. www.africanjournalseries.com
- Obasi, N.A., Akubugwo, E.I., Ugbogu, O.C. and Chinyere, G.C. (2012). Heavy metals bioavailability and phyto-accumulation potentials on selected plants on Burrow-pit Dumpsite in Aba and Ntigha Dumpsite in Isiala Ngwa of Abia State,Nigeria. Nigeria Journal of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology 27(1): 27- 45. NJBMB/004/12. http://www.nsbmb.org/journals.php
- K. M. Kalu, N. A. Obasi, F. O. Nduka and E. I. Okonkwo (2012). Seasonal variations of nocturnal, endophagous and anthropophagous Anopheles species of rural communities in Abia State, Nigeria. European Journal of Dentistry and Medicine 4(3): 56-63. ISSN-1996-3378/DOI: 10.3923/ejdm.2012.
- Kalu Mong Kalu, Nwogo Ajuka Obasi, Florence Onyemachi Nduka and Glory Otuchristian (2012). A comparative study of malaria in Aba and Umuahia urban areas of Abia State, Nigeria. Research Journal of Parasitology 7(1):17-24 ISSN-1816-4943/DOI: 10.3923/jp.2012.
- C.J. Chukwu, N.A. Obasi, A. Jauro, A.I. Ezeribe, C.B. Nwachukwu and J.D. Putshak’a (2012). Physical and plastic properties of three Nigerian Coals. Asian Journal of Material Sciences 4(2):45-51. ISSN 1996-3394/ajmskr.2012.45.51
- A.I. Ezeribe, C.J. Chukwu, N.A. Obasi, G. Otuchristian and U.A. Ibiam (2012). Effect of catalyst concentration on the rheological properties of melamine formaldehyde resonated cotton fabric. Asian Journal of Textile 2(2): 26-31. ISSN 1819-3358/DOI:103923/ajt.2012
- Kalu Mong Kalu, Nwogo Ajuka Obasi, Florence Onyemachi Nduka, Victor Oluoha Nwaugo and Ifeanyi Augustine Onuabuchi (2012). Abundance of nocturnal, endophagous and anthropophilic Anopheles species in relation to human transmission in an urban and a rural community of Abia State, Nigeria. Journal of Entomology. 9(6):382-388. ISSN 1812-5670. DOI:10.3923/je.2012.
- Kalu Mong Kalu, Nwogo Ajuka Obasi, Florence Onyemachi Nduka and Maria Okwudili Oko (2012). Prevalence of malaria parasitaemia in Umuchieze and Uturu communities of Abia State, Nigeria. Asian Journal of Epidemiology 5(3):95-102 ISSN 1992-1462. DOI:10.3923/aje.2012.
- N.A. Obasi, U.C. Okorie, B.N. Elemchukwu, S.S. Ogundapo and G. Otuchristian (2012). Nutritional evaluation, phytochemical screening and antimicrobial effects of aqueous extract of Picralima nitida peel. Asian Journal of Biological Sciences 5(2):105-112. ISSN 1996-3351.
- Emmanuel Iroha Akubugwo, Ajuka Obasi, Godwin Chinyere Chinyere, Eberechukwu Eze, Obinna Nwokeoji and Eziuche Amadike Ugbogu (2012). Phytoaccumulation effects of Amaranthus hybridus L. grown on buwaya refuse dumpsites in Chikun, Nigeria on metals. Journal of Biodiversity and Environmental Sciences 2(5): 10-17. ISSN 2220-6663.
- N.A. Obasi, E.I. Akubugwo, O.C. Ugbogu and Glory otuchristian (2012). Assessment of physicochemical properties and heavy metals bioavailability in dumpsites along Enugu- Port Harcourt expressways, south-east, Nigeria. Asian Journal of Applied Sciences 5(6):342-356. ISSN 1996-3643.
- N.A. Obasi, Joy Ukadilonu, Eberechukwu Eze, E.I. Akubugwo, and U.C. Okorie (2012). Proximate composition, extraction and comparative assessment of oconut (Cocos nucifera) and melon (Colocynthis citrullus) seeds and seed oils. Pakistan Journal of Biological Science 15(1): 1-9. ISSN 1028-8880.
- Dike, C.C., Elekwa, I., Ezeugwunne, I.P., Ofoegbu, C.J. and Obasi, N.A. (2012). Bioremediation of Dissel Polluted Soil in Uturu, Abia State, Nigeria using Cattle Bone Powder and N.P.K. Fertilizer. Journal of Science and Technology Research 11(4): 105-115
- Chinyere, G.C. and Obasi, N.A. (2011). Effects of processing on the antioxidants (vitamin C and flavonoids) constituents of selected leafy vegetables. Plants Product Research Journal 15:32-36
- Chinyere, G.C. and Obasi, N.A. (2011). Effects of processing on the Elemental Composition of selected leafy vegetables. Plants Product Research Journal 15:26-31
- Chinyere, G.C. and Obasi, N.A. (2011). Changes in the amino acids contents of selected leafy vegetables subjected to different processing treatments. African Journal of Biochemistry Research 5(6): 182-187. ISSN 1996-0778.
- Obasi, N.A., Akubugwo, E.I. and Eze, Eberechukwu (2011). Successful Research Project/Thesis Writing: A Structural Guide for Science Disciplines. Info-Tech Journal 1(1):122-139.
- Akubugwo, E.I., Obasi, N.A., Chinyere, G.C. and Ugbogu, A.E. (2008). Mineral and Phytochemical Contents in leaves of Amaranthus hybridus L and Solanum nigrum L subjected to different processing methods. African Journal of Biochemistry Research 2(2): 040-044. ISSN 1996-0778.
- Akubugwo, E.I., Obasi, N.A., Chinyere, G.C. and Ugbogu, A.E. (2007). Nutritional and Chemical values of Amaranthus hybridus L. leaves from Afikpo, Nigeria. African Journal of Biotechnology. 6 (24): 2833-2839. ISSN 1684-5315.
- E.I. Akubugwo, N.A. Obasi and S.C. Ginika (2007). Nutritional potential of the leaves and seeds of Black Nightshades- Solanum nigrum L. var Virginicum from Afikpo– Nigeria. Pakistan Journal of Nutrition 6(4): 323-326. ISSN 1680-5194
- Nwogo Ajuka Obasi, Stella Eberechukwu Obasi, Emmanuel Nweze, Solomon Okechukwu Amadi, Chinyere Aloke, and Getrude Obinaju Aloh (2019). Heavy Metal Pollution and Human Health Risk Assessment of Farmlands around Enyigba Lead-Zinc Mining Site, Ebonyi State, Nigeria. Proceedings of the 4th World Congress on Civil, Structural, and Environmental Engineering (CSEE’19), Rome, Italy – April 7-9, 2019. Paper No. ICEPTP 135:1-8. DOI:10.11159/iceptp19.135
- Nwogo Ajuka Obasi, Stella Eberechukwu Obasi, Emmanuel Iroha Akubugwo, Sunday Oge Elom and Christopher Onyemeziri Alisa (2015). Health Risk Assessment of selected wild Valuable Plants Species Grown around Amaozara and Amaechara Aged dumpsite soils in Amasiri, Afikpo North L.G.A. of Ebonyi State, Nigeria. Proceeding of 3rd International Conference on Chemical, Agricultural and Medical Sciences (CAMS-Dec 10-11, 2015 Singapore). Prof. Bulent Topcuoglu (Editor), ISBN: 978-93-84422-48-6. Pp 27-32
- M.O. Oko, G. Otuchukwu and N.A. Obasi (2012). Studies on the incidence of typhoid fever among students of comprehensive secondary school, Unwana, Afikpo North L.G.A., Ebonyi State, Nigeria. Book of Proceedings of the International Conference on Sustainable Development, University of Abuja, F.C.T., Nigeria. (February 6-9). 8(6): 84-88